[eGenix.com] ANN: eGenix mxODBC Zope/Plone Database Adapter 2.1.1

egenix-announcements at egenix.com egenix-announcements at egenix.com
Tue Apr 2 11:15:59 CEST 2013

ANNOUNCEMENT

                  mxODBC Zope/Plone Database Adapter

                            Version 2.1.1

                     for Zope and the Plone CMS

                Available for Plone 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2,
                        Zope 2.12 and 2.13, on
        Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD and other platforms

This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-mxODBC-Zope-DA-2.1.1-GA.html

INTRODUCTION

The eGenix mxODBC Zope DA allows you to easily connect your Zope or
Plone CMS installation to just about any database backend on the
market today, giving you the reliability of the commercially supported
eGenix product mxODBC and the flexibility of the ODBC standard as
middle-tier architecture.

The mxODBC Zope Database Adapter is highly portable, just like Zope
itself and provides a high performance interface to all your ODBC data
sources, using a single well-supported interface on Windows, Linux,
Mac OS X, FreeBSD and other platforms.

This makes it ideal for deployment in ZEO Clusters and Zope hosting
environments where stability and high performance are a top priority,
establishing an excellent basis and scalable solution for your Plone
CMS.

Product page:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/zope/mxODBCZopeDA/

NEWS

We are pleased to announce the new version 2.1.1 of our mxODBC
Zope/Plone Database Adapter product.

Feature Enhancements
--------------------

 * Added a new connection property "ODBC cursor type" which allows
   easily adjusting the ODBC cursor type to be used for mxODBC Zope DA
   connection objects.

   This new property allows enhancing the performance of the adapter
   significantly, when using it with MS SQL Server or IBM DB2 database
   backends. Please see below for details.

Driver Compatibility
--------------------

 * MS SQL Server performance can now be much enhanced, and increased
   to levels beyond that of previous mxODBC Zope DA releases, by
   adjusting the connection ODBC cursor type to "Forward only
   cursors".

   The performance increase compared to mxODBC Zope DA 2.1.0 is
   enormous: from 2-3x faster executes/fetches for average queries, up
   to 300x faster for simple cases.

   In mxODBC Zope DA 2.2, we will switch to using "Forward only
   cursors" per default for all database backends.

 * IBM DB2 can benefit from the same performance enhancements using
   "Forward only cursors".

   The effect is a lot smaller, but still noticeable: up to 2x faster
   executes/fetches with forward-only cursors, compared to mxODBC Zope
   DA 2.1.0.

 * Added documentation to explain the different cursor types,
   compatibility with different database backends and effects on
   performance.

Fixes
-----

 * Fixed the installation instructions to be more generic and easily
   adaptable to Plone and Zope installations on both Windows and Unix
   platforms.

For the full set of changes please check the change log:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/zope/mxODBCZopeDA/changelog.html

FEATURES

Version 2.1.0 of our mxODBC Zope/Plone Database Adapter product
was released on 2012-09-18. Please see the full
announcement for highlights of the 2.1 release:

    http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-mxODBC-Zope-DA-2.1.0-GA.html

For the full set of features mxODBC has to offer, please see:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/zope/mxODBCZopeDA/#Features

UPGRADING

Users are encouraged to upgrade to this latest mxODBC Zope/Plone DA
release to benefit from the new features and updated ODBC driver
support.

We have taken special care not to introduce backwards incompatible
changes, making the upgrade experience as smooth as possible.

As always, patch level upgrades (e.g. from 2.1.0 to 2.1.1) are free of
charge. The licenses you have purchased for 2.1 will continue to work
with this new release.

For major and minor upgrade purchases, we will give out 20% discount
coupons going from mxODBC Zope DA 1.x to 2.1 and 50% coupons for
upgrades from mxODBC 2.x to 2.1. After upgrade, use of the original
license from which you upgraded is no longer permitted.

Please contact the eGenix.com Sales Team with your existing license
serials for details for an upgrade discount coupon.

If you want to try the new release before purchace, you can request
30-day evaluation licenses by visiting our web-site or writing to
sales at egenix.com, stating your name (or the name of the company) and
the number of eval licenses that you need.

SUPPORT

Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.
Please see

    http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

for details about our support offerings.

MORE INFORMATION

For more information on the mxODBC Zope Database Adapter, licensing
and download instructions, please visit our web-site:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/zope/mxODBCZopeDA/

You can buy mxODBC Zope DA licenses online from the eGenix.com shop at:

    http://shop.egenix.com/

About Python (http://www.python.org/):

    Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language
    which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use,
    clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid
    application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
    platform for today's IT challenges.

About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):

    eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company
    focusing on expert project services and professional quality
    products for companies, Python users and developers.

Enjoy,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 02 2013)
2013-03-25: Released mxODBC 3.2.2 ...             http://egenix.com/go40
2013-04-10: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                  8 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/