[egenix-users] Re: DateTime bus error on Solaris

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Tue Sep 17 22:44:40 CEST 2002

N. Thomas wrote:
> * N. Thomas <nthomas at cise.ufl.edu> [2002-09-10 03:29:23 -0400]:
>
>>I am using egenix-mx-base-2.0.3, Python 2.1.1 on a Sun Sparc machine running
>>Solaris 8 (SunOS 5.8).
>>
>>When I run any program that uses DateTime (or indeed, any module that calls
>>it) I get the following error:
>>
>>    $ python foo.py
>>    zsh: bus error  python foo.py
>

> Thanks to a helpful python guru on #python, I was able to use gdb to track
> down the cause of the crash, and shed some more light on the situation. Here
> is the relevant info from gdb:
>
>     Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>     mxDateTime_New () at mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime.c:333
>     333             _Py_NewReference(datetime);
>
> I'm assuming _Py_NewReference() is part of Python and not mxDateTime. What
> could be causing this?

This could have something to do with the free list used in mxDateTime.
Try compiling mxDateTime without free list support (edit mxDateTime.c
near the top and disable the two defines).

If that helps, you're set. The bus error sounds very much
like a compiler optimization bug to me. I've never heard of any
bug report related to _Py_NewReference().

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH