[egenix-users] mxODBC and Python-DBTCP????

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Tue Apr 8 22:42:41 CEST 2003

Davis Marques wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I'm having no end of trouble attempting to get my Zope, which is running
> on a Linux box, to fetch data from my MS Access database, which is
> naturally running on a separate Windows box.  To get to the point up
> front, I'm wondering if its possible to use mxODBC/Zope DA with DBTCP,
> an open source ODBC client, rather than iODBC/unixODBC?  If so, how
> difficult is this to accomplish?  My technical skills are somewhat limited.

AFAIK, MS Access does not provide remote access, so you'll have to
use an ODBC-ODBC bridge such as the one from EasySoft to access it
from Linux. This works with mxODBC.

A cheap solution seems to be MDBTools ODBC driver:

http://forums.devshed.com/archive/46/2002/06/4/37357
http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/

or the ODBC Socket Server:

http://odbcsock.sourceforge.net/

For a version with transaction support see UniverSQL:

http://www.sidespace.com/products/universql/

None of the above alternatives have been tested by us. Feedback
is welcome.

> So far, I've downloaded/installed mxODBC and the Zope DA and got them
> running without much of a problem.  I've got iODBC installed and
> running, but can't get the expensive driver's I've installed to work.
> After having spent HOURS and HOURS trying to make this run, I've pretty
> much had it.  I know DBTCP works; there's just no Zope DA that works
> with it.  If there's some means to connect the two, then it will save me
> (and anyone else who needs to do this same thing) hours of work and a
> lot of money.

We are looking into providing our own ODBC bridge solution in
the next few months. It will enable you to access any ODBC
database over a network by hooking up to a database server
local ODBC driver, e.g. you will be able to access MS Access
or Excel files from Linux without problems.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 08 2003)