[egenix-users] pyrun -- adding libraries

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Feb 4 18:22:04 CET 2013

On 04.02.2013 15:48, John R. Frank wrote:

>>> I don't see "Runtime" in the stuff downloaded by install-pyrun, and while the web page [1]
>>> mentions a source tarball, I cannot find a link to download a source archive for pyrun.  Am I
>>> missing it on that page?
>>
>> The Runtime/ dir is part of the source tarball. It is not included in the binary archives that
>> install-pyrun fetches from our site.
>>
>> Please see the download section for the download link:
>>
>> http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/#Download
>

> Found it, thanks!  Reading it.
>
> Strategy question:  what do you see as the advantages or differences between building PyRun-based
> deploy and building a chroot containing python and all our dependencies using something like
> deboostrap [1]?

For us, the main motivation for pyrun was to be able to easily ship
a pre-configured Python run-time to the user, without having to worry
about incompatibilities of different OS Python installations or
making the installation process itself difficult for the user.

A chroot environment would allow separating the Python installation
from the rest of the system (and in a way that goes far beyond of
what pyrun can do), but also needs a more complicated setup on the
user system.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 04 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/