[egenix-users] ANN: eGenix mx Base and Commercial Distribution 3.0 Release Candidate 2

eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg info at egenix.com
Sun Apr 8 16:15:05 CEST 2007

Hello,

we're sorry for keeping you all waiting for so many months, but the 3.0
release has been major piece of work and there have been a number of
delays due to external factors and projects which caused us to slip
the envisioned release date by two months.

In order to not keep you waiting much longer, we've decided to wrap up
our release candidate 2 of the eGenix mx Base and Commercial Distribution 3.0
and give you a chance to evaluate the new and enhanced packages.

The final GA release is expected to ship in the week of April 16.

So, here goes...

ANNOUNCEMENT

eGenix is pleased to announce the immediate availability of the
release candidate 2 of our Python extensions distributions
eGenix mx Base and eGenix mx Commercial 3.0.

INTRODUCTION

eGenix mx Base and Commercial Distributions are two sets of packages
which help you with everyday programming tasks when working with Python.

The mx Base distributions contains our open-source offerings:

 * mxDateTime - date/time types, parsers, tools
 * mxTextTools - fast text parsing
 * mxTools - set of new built-ins
 * mxURL - fast and easy-to-use URL data type
 * mxUID - unique identifiers
 * mxStack - fast stack data type with C interface
 * mxQueue - fast queue data type with C interface
 * mxProxy - access control and weak reference for Python objects
 * mxBeeBase - on-disk B+Tree database kit

The mx Commercial distribution comes with:

 * mxODBC, our universal ODBC database interface for Python

NEWS

The 3.0 releases of the eGenix mx Base and mx Commercial distributions
contain a huge number of enhancements, bug fixes and additions.

Some highlights:

 * mxTextTools now fully support Unicode, so you can parse Unicode
   data just as fast as you can 8-bit string data.

   The package also includes a tag table compiler and new jump
   target support to simplify working with tag tables.

 * mxDateTime has support for working with Python's datetime module
   types, so you can use and combine both if necessary.

   The parser was enhanced to support even more formats and make
   it more reliable than ever before.

 * mxURL and mxUID were previously released as part of our mx
   Experimental distribution.

   They have now been integrated into the base distribution, providing
   easy-to-use data types for common tasks in web programming.

 * mxODBC has received a large number of enhancements and supports
   more ODBC drivers than ever.

   We've worked a lot on the Unicode support and made it more robust,
   especially on Unix platforms where the ODBC Unicode support has
   stabilized over the last few years. You can now issue commands
   using Unicode and exchange Unicode data with the database in
   various configurable ways.

   We've also added a few more methods to give you more control of
   the connections and cursors as well as the .callproc() method
   that mxODBC 2.0 was missing.

   Multiple result sets via the .nextset() are also supported, so
   working with stored procedures should be a lot easier now.

   Another highlight is the added support for Python's datetime
   module types and the option to use strings for date/time
   processing (e.g. to be able to use timezones in timestamps
   if that's supported by the database).

   And finally, mxODBC received full 64-bit support, so that you
   can run mxODBC (and all other mx Extensions) on e.g. AMD64
   platforms.

 * We've switched from the old distutils wininst installer to the
   new MSI installer for the Windows build. This gives you a lot
   more options for automatic installs, including unattended
   installs. See http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/msi/
   for details.

UPGRADING

Please note that the 2.0 series of the eGenix mx Base and Commercial
Distribution do not support Python 2.5 on 64-bit platforms.

You are encouraged to upgrade to the new 3.0 series, if you plan to
deploy on 64-bit platforms and use Python 2.5 as basis for your
applications.

LICENSES

This release brings you all the new features and enhancements that
were previously only available in our mxODBC Zope Database Adapter.

Like the Zope product, mxODBC now requires that you install a license
in order to use it.

You can request 30-day evaluation licenses by writing to sales at egenix.com,
stating your name (or the name of the company) and the number of eval
licenses that you need. We will then issue you licenses and send
them to you by email. Please make sure that you can receive ZIP
file attachements on the email you specify in the request, since the
license files are send out as ZIP attachements.

The eGenix mx Base distribution does not require installation of
licenses, so you can use straight away.

DOWNLOADS

eGenix mx Base Distribution:

 * Windows Installer for Python 2.5:

   http://downloads.egenix.com/python/egenix-mx-base-3.0.0_rc2.win32-py2.5.msi

   To install, download and then run the installer file.

 * Linux 32-bit Pre-Built Binary for Python 2.5 UCS4:

   http://downloads.egenix.com/python/egenix-mx-base-3.0.0_rc2.linux-i686-py2.5_ucs4.prebuilt.zip

   To install, run "python setup.py build --skip install".

 * Linux 64-bit Pre-Built Binary for Python 2.5 UCS4:

   http://downloads.egenix.com/python/egenix-mx-base-3.0.0_rc2.linux-x86_64-py2.5_ucs4.prebuilt.zip

   To install, run "python setup.py build --skip install".

 * Source (all other platforms and Python versions):

   http://downloads.egenix.com/python/egenix-mx-base-3.0.0_rc2.zip

   To install, run "python setup.py install".

eGenix mx Commercial Distribution:

 * Windows Installer for Python 2.5:

   http://downloads.egenix.com/python/egenix-mx-commercial-3.0.0_rc2.win32-py2.5.msi

   http://downloads.egenix.com/python/egenix-mx-commercial-3.0.0_rc2.linux-i686-py2.5_ucs4.prebuilt.zip

   To install, run "python setup.py build --skip install".

 * Linux 64-bit Pre-Built Binary for Python 2.5 UCS4:

   http://downloads.egenix.com/python/egenix-mx-commercial-3.0.0_rc2.linux-x86_64-py2.5_ucs4.prebuilt.zip

   To install, run "python setup.py build --skip install".

Note that in order to use the eGenix mx Commercial Distribution
you need to install the eGenix mx Base Distribution first.

Documentation is included in the mx/Doc/ directory of the installation
in form of PDF files. This will also be posted on our web-site for
easy access.

The final release will include downloads for more platforms and combinations
of Python version, Unicode version and 32-/64-bit versions.

If you have special needs, please let us know. Write to support at egenix.com
for information on whether we can support your particular platform. It's
likely that we can, given the portability of our code.

MORE INFORMATION

For more information on the eGenix mx Distributions, licensing
and download instructions, please write to sales at egenix.com.

If you experience problems with the release candidate, we'd appreciate
a short description of the problem to support at egenix.com, so that
we can fix the problem in the final release.

Happy Easter,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 08 2007)